Web Developers create web pages and web-based applications.
Web developers build the web pages and web-based applications that comprise the Internet. A basic web development work-flow includes collecting or creating web content (copy, images, videos, etc.), planning web site layout and navigation, coding the actual web pages, then testing and optimizing the website for superior user experience and optimum performance.
Web development projects require frequent revisions and enhancements, so web developers need patience as well as strong communication skills to interact with team members and clients. Creativity and an understanding of color theory and design concepts will also increase your value as a web developer. Web development jobs exist in all settings, including enterprises and government agencies, small to medium businesses or working alone as a freelance web developer.
a.k.a. Webmaster | Web Administrator | Web Application Developer | Web Dev | Web Manager | Web Designer
Web Developer Skills & Responsibilities
Typical day-to-day activities and marketable skill sets for web developers include the following. Web Developers:
- Should know one or more server-side programming languages, such as Java, PHP and .Net.
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) to develop websites that rank high in Google, Bing, etc.
- Test web pages and web apps in multiple browsers, e.g., Chrome, FireFox & Internet Explorer.
- Implement Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to efficiently control the style of multiple pages in site.
- Develop websites that interact with popular database systems like MySQL, SQL Server & Oracle.
- Use wireframes to plan the layout, navigation and functionality of new web development projects.
- Communicate with clients and colleagues to troubleshoot websites and optimize performance.
- Some web developers are responsible for designing a website’s graphics and multimedia elements.
Web Developer Salary
- Website Developer average annual salary (USA): $90,000
|Web Developer Salary $90,000|
Average salaries for web developers and related career paths:
- Web Designer: $76,000
- .Net Web Developer: $77,000
- PHP Web Developer: $81,000
- Coldfusion Developer: $84,000
- SQL Server Developer: $84,000
- Java Web Developer: $88,000
- Software Designer: $88,000
- User Interface (UI) Developer: $89,000
- Web Developer: $90,000
- Oracle Developer: $93,000
- SharePoint Developer: $95,000
- Perl Developer: $95,000
- J2EE Developer: $98,000
- Lead .Net Web Developer: $103,000
- Websphere Developer: 107,000
- Lead Java Developer: $108,000
- Senior J2EE Developer: $112,000
The hourly pay rate for web developers ranges from $20 to a whopping $140 per hour. Key variables in a web developer’s hourly wage include location, experience, strength of portfolio, and mastery of relevant programming languages.
Here is a deep dive comparison of web developer salaries.
Web Developer Education Requirements
Hands-on experience and mastery of the programming languages your prospective employer is using are the key requirements for securing work as a web developer. Hiring managers for web development positions will typically ask to see a digital portfolio with live samples of web pages and applications you’ve created. Professionals new to web development can learn the requisite programming skills and start building their portfolio through an accredited degree program in Web Design, Web Development, Software Engineering, or a related field of study.